The compost bin is extremely eco-friendly – it causes you to waste nothing. Vegetable peelings, fruit peelings, any salad gone mouldy in the fridge; as well as weeds and pruned twigs from gardening – all of it gets chucked into the compost bin.
How to make compost:
- Try to incorporate both soft veg. and woody sticks – this allows air to enter the compost
- Avoid putting onions or citrus fruit peel in the compost – it will kill it
- Put composting powder in to get the decomposition going
- Remember who your friends are when composting: slugs, worms and woodlice – welcome them into your bin
- Do not put old bread or you will get mice – this is bad news as they will run into the house
The home-made compost is excellent for filling up pots for plants whether bulbs or roses, herbs or bedding plants.